Medway Special Education Lawyer

Last updated on June 12, 2024

Children with special education needs face distinct challenges. As a parent, it is important to realize that the law protects children who need additional support services. With years of experience as a special education attorney in Medway, I am ideally placed to take your side in discussions with schools and ensure that the correct structures are in place for your child.

An Advocate For Special Education Needs

My work as a special education lawyer goes beyond the work I do directly for clients. I have become a recognized advocate for special education services in public schools:

  • I am a member of the Massachusetts Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates
  • I am a member of the Asperger’s Association of New England (AANE)

This experience provides me with the insight to act decisively and to negotiate from a position of strength on behalf of individual pupils who may not be receiving the services to which they are entitled.

How Can I Help Your Family?

I represent pupils and the parents of pupils who face a range of issues, including:

  • Threats of expulsion
  • Learning difficulties, including attention deficit, dyslexia, verbal and non-verbal learning disabilities, and developmental delays
  • Autism
  • Harassment
  • Failure to provide individualized education programs (IEPs)
  • 504 issues

In Massachusetts, many cases can be finalized through mediation with the school district before a formal Bureau of Special Education Appeals hearing. My role is to help you settle on a strategy that you believe in for your child and to work with the school to achieve that strategy.

If necessary, I will bring in specialists to evaluate your child before any agreement is reached. Schools have special education budgets. It makes sense to know the specific needs of your child in detail so that he or she gets the services he or she is entitled to.

The main thing is to separate the emotional from the practical. Schools use attorneys to consult on whether a child is entitled to special education services and accommodations or whether to implement certain disciplinary measures such as suspension or expulsion.

Whether a child should be expelled or not, I believe that parents are entitled to representation in the same way — from someone who is not as emotionally involved in the situation.

Contact Me

Do you have questions? You can contact me online or at 508-507-8222. If necessary, I can arrange consultations in the evenings and on weekends.